Tuesday, November 1, 2011

(21 days of Remembering my Daddy: Day 1)



I believe that this was taken the last time I saw my sweet Daddy... we were having lunch before he took us to the airport.


November 21st will mark 1 year since my Daddy first saw his Savior face to face. It is unreal... I'm going to try really hard to post each day a memory of my Daddy and/or a lesson he taught us. He was always very intentional about teaching life lessons at every opportunity. Even as an adult I know very few people who are as intentional in their child rearing as my parents were. The truth is, I think there are probably hundreds of people who could testify to these teachings who were lucky enough to have been invested in by him over the years. I actually didn't write today's post... My brother Todd wrote this 4 days after Daddy died last year. I didn't ask his permission to share this, but I'm going to anyways, and plan to share the other things he wrote as well. I'm also going to see if I can persuade my 2 sisters to share as well, and maybe some others in our family.. Heck.. we may end up with more than 21 days worth between all of us. After all, 4 kids provided a lot of opportunity for life lesson teaching over the years!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lessons from my Dad.
by Todd Goens on Thursday, November 25, 2010 at 5:15pm
.

As I am sure that you all know, my Dad, Steve Goens, the author of Life is for Living...Because he Lives, went to Heaven sometime during the early morning hours of November 21, 2010.

While I will not be using this site a lot, as I don't deserve to attach my writings to his name, I wanted to take the opportunity to Thank You for reading his devotionals and for your support over the years and also share a little insight into his life that will perhaps shine a light on him in a personal way and will encourage you in your tough times.

On Tuesday morning of this past week I met a man who told me that he thought my Dad was too tough on me as I was growing up. As I tried to explain to him, I knew how to push his buttons better than most and deserved a lot more of his discipline than he ever gave me. The conversation jogged many memories of teaching moments that I witnessed and was a part of over the years and I thought I would share a few of these today.

When I was in the 8th grade the Bedford Junior High School Cutters traveled south, across the mighty White River to play the Mitchell Blue Jackets for a football game. During the game I got hit very hard and was lying on the field, trying to remember my name, where I was and why I was seeing stars in my eyes, the first voice that cut through the fog belonged to my Dad. He said " Get up boy....Don't let them carry you off the field". He then encouraged me to get back in the game and compete as soon as possible.

When my sister Heather was in the 8th grade, she was exceptionally fast and as a matter of fact, held the Bedford Junior High School record for the 400 meter dash for many years. She still might...maybe someone can check for me. Anyway, on one particular night, Heather was probably 50 yards ahead of her nearest competitor as she headed to the finish line, when she pulled her hamstring and fell to the track. My Dad was standing along the fence and immediately hollered for her to "Get Up!". She got up and took a few more steps and fell again, and once again he yelled "Get Up!" This was repeated 3 or 4 more time as he ran along the fence and encouraged her to finish the race...She finally crawled across the finish line, battered bruised and sore...She still finished third and that 1 point that she earned was enough to be the winning point for her track team on that May evening in 1989.

One night when Julie was in high school, Kris and I drove to Columbus to watch Julie play basketball, and when we got to the game I was informed that Julie had a ankle that was badly twisted and swollen two or three times its natural size and was extremely painful for her to play on, but she was going to try and play that evening. As she warmed up and tried to get ready for the game, we were not sure if she was going to be able to go. When the game started Julie was still stretching her ankle and, as the first Lady Star off the bench, her Coach asked if she was ready and Julie took a deep breathe and jogged out on the court...that's when the unique "Steve Goens, Motivational Heckle" went into full effect. Anybody who ever attended a game with my Dad, knows what it was like. He rode Julie the whole night, telling her she was "Dogging It" and that if she was going to play, she better not let her opponent get the upper hand...he told her repeatedly that her ankle was no excuse.

To the new age, liberal, feel good, cuddle and hug group of people that run the world now, my Dad was much too tough on us in these instances. They would say that he should have stepped in and tried to keep us from further injury and that he didn't show a lot of compassion in these circumstances. He would have laughed at them.

What he taught us in our childhood was that life is tough. Sometimes you get knocked down and all too many times it hurts very bad. There is no shame in feeling hurt or being injured. The shame is in not finishing the race. The shame is in not competing. The shame is in using excuses. My Dad allowed us to "play hurt" under his supervision while we were kids to teach us life lessons that can readily be applied to situations like we face today....It is okay to cry, it is okay to hurt, it is okay to be sad but you have to finish the race and you have to keep competing...Live life to the fullest and Never ever quit....

I love my Dad and thank him for the lessons he taught me
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I loved it the day he wrote it and I love it just as much today. I love you Bubby!
More to come tomorrow...






1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've been thinking about you this week and praying for you and your family. Know this will be a difficult month for you all! <3
~Kimberly