Saturday, November 19, 2011

(21 Days of Remembering My Daddy: Day 19)

Sometimes it is so strange how God works. My Daddy sent out a daily devotional email to thousands of people Monday-Friday for the last several years of his life. It was something he loved doing, and unlike me and this blog, was something he was very committed to.

He passed away sometime in the early morning hours on a Sunday. After I got the call we were quickly on the road on the way home. We got in late, and went to bed shortly after arriving. Sometime in the middle of the night I remember waking up suddenly and reaching for my phone. I opened my email and wanted to re-read what his last devotional was.

He sent this devotional out one year ago today. My hands shake just typing this. Oh my, how one year can change everything. But oh how grateful I am that what he wrote was true, is true and will always be true.
===========================================
Life is for Living
by Pastor Steve Goens
Friday, November 19, 2010
2 Corinthians 4:13:18

I never really struggled with the existence of God. What I did struggle with was His interest in me. While living in Massachusetts I would often lay in bed and pray, "God if you are real and concerned about me, show yourself at the end of my bed." I prayed that prayer, every night, for months and never one time did He show up. Not once!
I thought about those days that I wanted to walk by sight, but since I have walked by faith now for over 38 years I see the blessings, reality and reasons of these verses written in 2 Corinthians 4:13-18. "While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen; for the things which are seen are temporal, but the things which are not seen are eternal."
As we begin this extremely brief look at this entire passage let us begin at verse 14. "Knowing that he which raised up the Lord Jesus shall raise up us also by Jesus, and shall present us with you." We are looking for that day that either we die, and will be with Jesus - "to be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord," or we will be raptured out of this world - "in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye." We anticipate one of these two things because Jesus was raised up. Death does not end it all!
In verse 15 we learn that "all things are for your sakes . . ." This life is not all about you, however the work of Jesus Christ on your behalf is all about you. Because of His great work, the "abundant grace" produces thanksgiving for the glory of God.
"for which cause we faint not; but though our outward man perish, yet the inward man is renewed day by day." We do not quit because things get tough. In fact, the man of God who walks by faith knows and considers these tough times as "our light affliction, which is but for a moment, worketh for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory." The problems and trials that make one that does not walk by faith, give up, only strengthens the man of faith because he knows that the troubles are temporal but walking with God, day by day, is an eternal walk. For those that are saved, therefore we endure, therefore we fight one more round, not for the temporal, but for the eternal. Our houses are on earth, they are temporal. Our homes are in Heaven, that is eternal. Our presence is on earth, that shall pass away. Our hearts are in Heaven, where we shall forever dwell with our God.

Because He Lives

=============================================

No comments: