Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Sensory Play

Hello!!

Well I'm working on a Christmas post (I know it's January, but I give myself at least a month before I start feeling bad about it.... it's just me people, get used to it :) ) but for the life of me I can not find our Christmas pics on our computer, so I'll have to wait until Matthew gets home so he can tell me where he hid them! So for now I'll show you a little project I did for Ainsley earlier this week.

Many of you know I'm really interested in homeschooling. I'm still not positive that it's what we're going to do with our kids, but my frustration with traditional schooling can basically be summed up in the cartoon below and this quote by Einstein:

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability
to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
-Albert Einstein



I was raised in public schools and I have several friends who are teachers who are some of the smartest, most amazing people I know. I'm just not sure I necessarily think that putting 30 kids who all have different strengths, weaknesses, talents and interests into a room and expecting them to all learn the same way is the best way to teach kids to learn.

So I've been casually looking into some different philsophies of learning (which can be applied in any setting by the way, not just homeschooling). I'm a big fan of Classical learning, but there isn't any Classical curriculum for preschool age that I can find. However, Montessori does have quite a bit of recommendations for toddler age. Sensory education is something that is highly recommended by them so I decided to give it a try. So the other morning I made Ainsley a rice sensory box and some homemade playdough (it's just made from normal kitchen ingredients, and since she's so young I would prefer for her to eat something that was made in my kitchen, not in a factory...). You can find a TON of these recipies and ideas on Pinterest, so I'll spare you a step by step here, even though I did take some pictures along the way. However, if any of you are just dying to see how I did it, let me know and I'll post it.

Can I just tell you that these 2 activites have provided HOURS of play over the past several days. Ainsley had her friend Koral over earlier this week and she loved it so much that her mom, Lisa, sent me a text saying she was making one for her daughter as well!! Seriously people... tons of fun! Here's some pics of Ainsley enjoying it!

They were both a huge hit! The play dough has a really nice soft consistency and hasn't dried out at all yet and although the rice is a little messy, it's actually not too bad... She's actually playing with it right now! So take the hour of time and $15 and go make your kiddos these super great, creative and fun activities!! Make it even more fun and allow them to help you make them! It's a great activity for these cold, rainy, wintery days!!!

No comments: