Monday, February 27, 2012

Former-Orphans

Maybe for most of you this weekend was just a normal weekend. I know for my family it consisted of the normal stuff; work, family time, church, etc... But for 2 families it was much more than that.

The Ackner family got home this weekend from China where they have been for the past few weeks picking up their newest son, Aaron.

The Ribbens family FINALLY returned home after 11 1/2 months in Uganda where they were fighting to bring home their 2 newest children, Bauer and Nya. Their story is AMAZING, and I hope they write it down someday for those who weren't following along the whole time to catch up.

This weekend as I was looking at the pictures of these newly expanded families I sort of chuckled. The look on the parents face: ecstasy. The look on the newly adopted children, the former orphans who are now sons and daughters: ummm, not so ecstatic. I mean don't get me wrong, they look happy, but nothing like their parents.

As I looked at their little faces, especially Nya's, I wondered to myself if they would ever understand the lengths and the cost that their parents endured to bring them into their families. If they would ever understand the depth of the love their parents had for them that compelled them to spend literally tens of thousands of dollars, months of their time, oceans of tears, travel across the globe to seek them out, and for the Ribbens, to literally risk losing everything they had. The cost that was paid for their lives.

And then.... as He often does, my Father whispered in my ear....

            "Do you understand, my daughter, how costly your adoption into my family was? Do you understand the price that was paid? Do you understand the tears I wept for your soul? Do you understand the distance I sent my Son, to travel from His throne, through the cosmos to live on earth to seek you out? Do you understand that the First of all your brothers and sisters LITERALLY did lose everything for you? Do you really understand the depth of My love for you? Do you understand how much your Father truly loves you?"

There are times when the Father makes His love so real to His children that its palpable. This was one of those times for me. My heart was overwhelmed and full of joy in that moment.

Then my heart grew heavy as I thought about the orphans..... those who I know, who I love, who are surrounding me who have yet to be reconciled to their Father. Those people who I love dearly, because my Father loves them, who have never felt that feeling I had.... They have yet to experience the feeling of being truly, deeply, inexplicably loved by their Creator.

So to those who are former-orphans, those who have been reconciled to God through Jesus, take a few minutes to think on this truth. Take a few minutes to bask in the depth of the ocean of love that has been poured out for you.

To those who have not, do not look at me, or any other Christian for that matter... but instead look at Jesus, and take a moment to consider the length that He went and the cost that He paid, that you might know His Father, that you might be adopted into His family, that you might share an inheritance with Him.

"The grace of our Lord was poured out on me abundantly, along with the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus.
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners—of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his unlimited patience as an example for those who would believe on him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever." 1 Timothy 1:14-17

1 comment:

Matthew Lee said...

Julie,

I have a quick question about your adoption. Could you please contact me at mlee@coupaide.com?

Thanks!

Matthew Lee