Thursday, February 2, 2012

Suffering...

I feel like there are so many people I know right now who are suffering. So many people whose marriages are failing, health is failing, family is feuding, their finances are a mess, they've lost their job, they've lost their children...

I know these things aren't new, maybe I've just been more aware of those around me lately... or maybe these things are just hitting closer to home than normal...

I keep going back to this message in my mind. This was preached a long time ago at our church by one of the assistant pastors on staff at our church. Now he's the lead pastor of a church plan called City Church in Murfreesboro, Tennessee. This guy knows suffering. He goes over it a bit in the sermon. I remember when he and his wife lost their son that my heart was literally aching in my chest and I held my daughter tightly to my chest and literally sobbed for them.

Since my Daddy went to heaven over 14 months ago, I've gone back to this message many times. You know, those times when the sorrow is so heavy you feel like you can't catch your breath. And I remember, that we are waiting...

This issue is one of the biggest reasons people don't believe in Christianity. How can a good and loving God allow so much suffering? How can he allow His children to ache, and bleed, and hurt, and weep... when He could do something about it?

Well let me tell you... He is good. He is loving. He bled for you. He weeps with you....

And guess what.... He DID do something about it.... Something greater than you can imagine...

As my daughter's little Bible (called the Jesus Storybook Bible) says so beautifully.... Jesus came to "make every sad thing become untrue."

Listen while you're eating lunch, listen while you're commuting in the car, listen while you're folding clothes. But whatever you do, just listen....



Why Suffering? from The Summit Church Sermons on Vimeo.



No comments: