Monday, March 26, 2012

moving along...

Things in life and on the adoption front are moving along.

We were surprised by God after we got waitlisted with our agency. We believed that we were done with our adoption "stuff" until we got a referral in 8 months to a year. However we found out that in all of the changes that had been taking place in Uganda the chance of getting siblings with our agency was slim. So slim in fact that if things kept moving at the rate they had been (which could at any time speed up or slow down, just as it had done this time) we would potentially be looking at a wait time of 3-5 years. They were incredibly patient with us as we explored all of our options, prayed, cried, complained, and then cried some more. Eventually and finally, we decided that we felt God leading us to do this adoption independently. Basically, that means that we are not using an agency. So normally an agency works with a baby home or orphanage and that is where you get your referral from, and then you use their attorney, and they guide you through the whole process. Doing the adoption independently means that we have found and hired our own attorney and we have emailed and contacted multiple orphanages and baby homes about getting on waitlists and finding a referral.

We have seen God in this, and we have seen our enemy attacking this. We have seen God bless this path, but there have been bumps in it. We have been blessed by other Christians and we have seen other Christians hurt us deeply. This last part has been eye opening to me. I have always known that the enemy can use the tongue of Christians to bring pain and grief into the lives of other believers. However, when you are on the receiving end of this, I'm not gonna lie, it hurts... As in all things though, the Holy Spirit has used the situation to shed light on my own life and has caused me to look in the mirror. It has left me wondering when has my carelessness and when has my tongue hurt my sisters and brothers in Christ? It has caused my anger and hurt to fizzle and has allowed me to forgive. It has also taught me that I need to just shut up sometimes. This is one of those times. The rest of the details about the adoption at this point will have to be kept between us and our immediate family for the time being. We will update as soon as we possibly can, promise.

So what does this mean as far as time, money, kids, etc? The short answer is that we just don't know. And we are not going to rush it. Adoption is serious business that has huge implications financially, ethically, emotionally, etc. We are not going to take a chance at compromising anything to make these adoptions happen. So we are praying, trusting both God and the people who we are working with, praying some more, and choosing our steps carefully.

We love you all and cherish your prayers both for this process and for us. That God will go before us and that He will make Himself known to both us and to those we are working with, that we will all have peace in conscious as we proceed, and that He guide literally every step, every breath. Like no other time in our life, we are completely and 100% dependent on the Spirit of God in this situation. We have no control over what happens 1/2 way around the world regarding our case. We are both excited to see what God is going to do, and pretty scared as well. Pray for us, Pray for us, Pray for us.

Love you guys! I will post in the next day or so about our sweet baby's 2nd Birthday!!

2 comments:

Rebekah said...

Hi Julie! My name is Rebekah and for some reason, my blogger account is now linked to yours! I'm trying to figure out how to remedy it, but when people see my blog in google reader, your posts show up! (my link is rebekahandwillmcgee.blogspot.com)

The VERY weird thing is, that we just moved from Raleigh and were a part of the Summit Church AND we're also adopting! We hope to bring our son home from Ethiopia next month!

Sorry again about the blog mixup, I don't know what to do but I've been doing some research to try to fix it! (You may not mind the blog traffic but I'm sure for your privacy you wouldn't want our blogs linked - :) )

Feel free to email me if you have any questions or suggestions!

rebekah (dot) mcgee @ gmail.com

The Splendiferous Life said...

Love this post, we too are going independent in Uganda, trusting God in all of this. It is His plan for our adoption not ours. I am sooo sorry of your hurt by the ones you should most trust. I too have had things said and rumors said to us by others Christians that you hoped would be on our side...you can visit our site at www.hopefor1.org