Tuesday, September 3, 2013

When God says "Stop praying and just go"


I remember when I was in college and I heard a 90-something-year-old pastor speak. He told the story about being in seminary and telling God that he would be the pastor at the first church that offered him the job after he graduated. He went on to graduate and a church offered him the job of being pastor. One of his friends asked him if he needed to pray about it to which he replied "I don't need to pray about it, God laid it on my heart, I committed to go to the first church that offered me a position and that is what I'm going to do. Sometimes God just wants you to stop praying and start going." Recently God said something similar to us.

This story started over a year ago. In the spring of 2012 when we were in the middle of the process to adopt John and Joshua we heard about a precious 3 1/2 year old girl. This little girl and her story pierced both of our hearts and we have been praying and advocating for her since then. However, her situation has recently changed and for various reasons it has become a more urgent situation and she really needs to be adopted now. We started praying, and let's be honest, I started crying. We prayed our hearts out that someone would step up to adopt her. Then God started piercing our hearts. Finally, on this past Friday while he was at work Matthew sent me a text. Those of you who know him know that Matthew is a man of few words. It simply read "We have to get ____". I called him and asked him if he was sure and he quoted this verse to me: "But if anyone has the world’s goods and sees his brother in need, yet closes his heart against him, how does God’s love abide in him?" (It's 1 John 3:17). And there's more.... Proverbs 3:27 says "Do not withhold good from those who deserve it when it's in your power to help them." So with one little text, we have started the adoption journey again!

To answer some questions we are anticipating:

1) Tell us about her! She is a precious 5 year old girl :) That's as much as you're getting for now :)

2) How much will this cost? We are anticipating that it will cost around $15,000 since some of our stuff just has to be updated. We will see though... we estimated around $28,000 for our boys and ended up pushing $40,000. So it is just really hard to estimate. And to go off that, we just have no idea how we are going to do this. We absolutely do not have the money. But two separate friends quoted this verse to me last week: Psalm 50:9-12: "I have no need of a bull from your stall or of goats from your pens, for every animal of the forest is mine, and the cattle on a thousand hills. I know every bird in the mountains, and the insects in the fields are mine. If I were hungry I would not tell you, for the world is mine, and all that is in it." God will provide it somehow, it's all His anyways... we just aren't sure how yet :)

3) When will she be coming home? We are hoping to be home with her around the 6 month mark. But all things with international adoption are unpredictable, especially time lines.

4) Are you crazy? Maybe a little bit... but we're OK with that.

5) Was this planned? Absolutely and totally not. We had no plans to add any children by any means to our family anytime soon. In fact, Matthew was adamant that we were done having children. I wasn't willing to commit to saying that, but certainly thought that it would be a long time before we even considered having any more children. But every once in a while God tells you to stop praying and just go. Last week He finally told us to stop praying for a family for this little girl and to just GO and to BE her family ourselves. So that's what we're doing. When the Creator of the universe, and the Savior of the world lay something on your heart at some point you just have to stop arguing, stop questioning and just do what He tells you to do.

So get ready to follow us again as we set out on this crazy journey. Please pray for us! There are a lot of obstacles to overcome... but just like before He is able and Christ is greater!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so excited to hear this news! I have always prayed for my cousin (Matthew) to do well in his life...I think he has done that and beyond! I am so happy for all of you! You will continue to be in my thoughts and prayers, and I can't wait to see this beautiful little girl that will be your child! Love, Kristin

Anonymous said...

Julie, I am in awe of your family. You and your husband are absolutely amazing and I love reading about your family. This post warms my heart so much and that little girl will be so lucky to be a part of such an awesome family. You are truly doing God's work. I pray you will all continue to be blessed!

~Steph (Holtsclaw) Colclasure

Tracy OHaver said...

So happy that Heather shared your blog! I am over the moon excited for your family. There is something about just going that brings a peace that is unexplainable! I leave for Kenya on Friday of this week. My kids asked me to bring home dirt, a baby and a baby elephant! I would happily bring home all three! ;)
I will be praying for your family and waiting with anticiaption to see how God provides the funds needed to bring your daughter home! Love, Tracy